A hair extension is the technique of adding hair that isn’t your own onto your own natural hair. There are a variety of methods for adding a hair extension, including weaving, bonding, braiding and strand by strand. Some of these techniques are best performed by trained hair professionals, while others are simple enough for you to do yourself, at home.
They can be styled and washed which makes them a versatile way of achieving a new look. Hair extensions and hairpieces come in a range of hair types – wavy, curly and long straight and sleek; various textures and lengths.
Celebrities have been seen wearing hairpieces and clip in hair extensions for the past few months which has caused this hair accessory to become popular with women of all ages around the world. One of the most versatile forms of Marina is the clip on ponytail, which is simple and easy to attach to your own hair pulled back in a knot.
In 1800 fake hair was frowned upon and women left their hair to be natural until the Romantic era was in full swing when women wore elaborate Apollo knots. Come the mid Victorian era and hair pieces were used a lot more extensively. Then strangely in the early 20th century Edwardian women wore false hair additions to create the pompadour hairstyle which looked like a woman was wearing a teapot on her head. How that became fashionable I don’t really know!
Around the 1920’s less hair was the big thing so hair pieces took a dive around that time and it wasn’t until the 1940s when long hair came back into fashion and women starting indulging again. Then in the 1960’s big hair was back with a vengeance. Coils were the in thing or the updo as better known to us were seen of many women, this was created by very extravagant human hair pieces. Marina Wigs made from real or fake hair were commonly worn around this time too and carried on into the early 70’s. Come the 80’s and big hair was in but only natural hair. Famous singers wore wigs but that was about it.
A History of Feather Head Wear - Feather Hair Extension Today
Everything in this world is unique in some attributes, with its own appearance, qualities, likes, etc. We all differ form each other due to the fact that we have our individual personality. Same is the case with the non-living things. They differ from one other on the basis of advantages and disadvantages each one has. One can not disagree with the fact that everything has some pros and cons because nothing in this world is perfect. On the basis of these pros and cons the thing is either appreciated or not. Take an example of anything: T.V, washing machine, mobiles, oven, knife, gun, computers, internet, and the list goes on.
Micro ring hair extensions are the most favorite hair extensions among the females now-a-days. But the important thing is that they work out best with the females that suit them. We know that everything in this world has some advantages and disadvantages. It is better to know each of them before making the final purchase decision. In this way you will be able to select the one that is made for you. Hair extensions industry is moving fast and is flourishing day by day. Though manufacturers have made much contributions to the extensions and introduced modifications, but still they lack somewhere.
Let's start this hair extension topic with some interesting information. Over the years females have been using hair extensions. But still many of them are completely unaware of this product and have a list of questions related to it. Based on the reviews and experiences of the females who have used them we here have the list of advantages:
- They are easy to add to your hair as compared to others products
- They do not require any heating substance like glue or solution - this helps in reducing the chances of damage to scalp,
- They are easy to remove
- Their application is not time-consuming
- They give you the best look and great volume.
- They are completely undetectable once applied to the hair.
The disadvantages of micro rings are that the rings might be visible if you have very short hair. You can not use them for a day or just for an occasion - for this purpose you should use some other type of hair extensions. If you have very weak and damaged hair then micro rings are not the best choice for you. They might not give the grip that you want and this would cause shedding.
These are some of the pros and cons of the Micro Ring Hair Extensions. You should refer to these advantages and disadvantages before the product purchase process. On the other hand, micro ring hair extensions are the best choice for the females that have strong and good hair length.
Marina Care and Maintenance
Hair extensions started being used in the 1980s, but because of poor results and high expense, were abandoned until about 5 years ago. Their popularity has been boosted by all the celebrities who now use them.
What are hair extensions?
Hair extensions are hairpieces that can be attached to your natural hair or scalp; they enhance the thickness of your hair or the length. There are several kinds, but the most popular ones are
· Strands, small clusters of about 30 pieces of hair
· Wefts, slightly larger curtains of hair, joined at the top and free flowing at the ends. The best wefts are hand-made, not machine-made.
· Braids and dreadlocks, which are pre-wound.
Some are synthetic and some are made of human hair. The natural hair of Caucasians is different from that of Asians or Afro-Caribbeans and you should choose an extension that will match your own hair.
They come in many varieties and can be pre-colored, pre-highlighted or pre-permed with curls or a body wave. Depending on how it was attached, you may need to have your hair extension re-done after 6 or 8 weeks, or it might last up to 4 months. Re-attaching will always be periodically necessary because our natural hair continues to grow, the bonding agent becomes loose, life happens, and you'll need to re-adjust and refresh your hair's appearance.
How are hair extensions attached?
· Strands are woven, glued, or clipped to your natural hair. If they're clipped, you can take them off easily any time. If they're glued, various bonding agents may be used and care must be taken to protect your scalp and natural hair.
· For wefts, your stylist will make a small corn row or weave in your natural hair, and sew the weft to this weave. This method uses no chemicals.
· Braids are usually woven in with your own hair and again no chemicals are used.
What kind of hair extension would best suit me?
That's a very personal matter and should be decided between you and your stylist. There are extensions for every kind of hair, even thin and baby-fine hair. Your stylist will assess your hair type, discuss how you would like to look and whether it's possible given your particular circumstances and hair status, and explain alternatives. When an extension is decided upon, she will personally customize it to match your hair, will attach it, explain how she's doing it, and give you information on how to care for it.
How do I care for my hair extension?
· Hair extensions can be shampooed, styled and brushed the same as your natural hair, but don't try to alter their color. This should be professionally done.
· The most important thing is to be gentle with it so as to preserve the bond attaching it.
· Use a soft bristle brush and brush out tangles from the bottom ends up towards your head.
· At night, to avoid matting, tie it up or braid it if it's fairly long, and never sleep with wet or damp hair.
· Avoid using any silicone-based products or conditioners on the extension where it is bonded to your natural hair, as this will make the extension slip off.
Does it hurt to get a hair extension?
No, not when it's properly done. In the first day or two it will feel a little heavy perhaps, and this added weight on your head may feel slightly uncomfortable until you get used to it. The process of attaching it should not hurt at all. If it does, something isn't right. Sometimes if the cornrow method is being used, the weaving might be done too tightly, pulling too hard on your scalp. This can even cause headaches. But you should not accept this. The weaving doesn't have to be so tight that it's painful.
You may come across stories of how a person's hair was broken, burned, or otherwise damaged by their hair extension. The odds are that this person had it done by an untrained stylist, or one with little experience.
Do your homework
Since the demand for hair extensions is growing, more varieties will become available and research will give us more methods of creating and using them. The hair styling industry is not regulated, so do some checking and reading. Many websites recount personal experiences and have Frequently Asked Question pages.
Choose a stylist with training specifically in hair extensions, and with plenty of experience using them. Ask to speak to other clients who have purchased hair extensions, to hear what their experiences were like.
Clip in Hair Extensions
Hair extensions are a great way to add length and volume to your hair. You can find extensions in different colors and styles. Make sure that when you purchase extensions that they are of high quality, so that they will last and have a natural look.
What are the Different Types of Hair Extensions?
There are several basic types of hair extensions, including clip-in, micro-ring or loop, fusion bonding, sewn-in or tracking, and bonding and sealing extensions. The clip-in extensions are the easiest to apply, but they do not last as long as others and if not placed properly, they can come loose. The micro-ring or loop extensions do not damage hair, but for people with short hair, they are not recommended because they can be visible. Fusion bonding extensions last longer than some other methods, but they can cause damage and should be done by a professional. Sewn-in or tracking extensions are the longest lasting and most natural looking of the different types. These should be applied by a professional.
There are also bonding and sealing extensions that are very natural looking, and they are the sturdiest of the different types of hair extensions and almost invisible. They do take a long time to apply, and they must be applied by a professional, using special tools.
How Do I Apply Clip-in Extensions?
Applying clip-in extensions is an easy and fast way to change your look for a special evening. For the best results, use quality 100-percent virgin Indian hair extensions, which are the most natural looking of the products available. The following easy-to-follow steps will help guide you through the application of clip-in extensions:
- Part your hair horizontally from under one ear over to the other ear.
- Start at the lowest point of the hairline part the hair where you wish to create a section.
- Clip the remaining hair firmly out of the way, so that you can add your extensions.
- Take the first weft, making sure that it is long enough and wide enough to fit along the back of the hairline and open all of the clips.
- Take the chosen weft and just below the part, carefully clip into place. Make sure that the clip snaps close on your hair and is secure. Repeat with the remaining clips.
- Release the hair you secured out of the way and make a new part. To do this, comb down a new layer about a half-inch from the original part. Each time, you need to secure the remaining hair out of the way so that you can easily clip in the extension.
- Repeat the process for all the extensions.
- Check for any gaps by running your hand along the extensions to make sure that they lie flat across your head. Make any necessary adjustments.
- When applying the side pieces, make sure that they are secure, frame your face and blend with your natural hair.
- To remove the wefts, gently unclip the sections and move up and away from your hair. Try not to pull, as this can lead to hair loss.
The clip-in hair extensions are a quick method of applying extensions that you can do yourself, but most other extensions require a qualified professional to get the most natural looking results and to limit any damage done to your hair. The key to correctly applying any extensions is to do so in a way that they are not noticeable and blend with your natural hair.