Hair extensions started being used in the 1980s, but because of poor results and high expense, were abandoned until about 5 years ago. Their popularity has been boosted by all the celebrities who now use them.
What are hair extensions?
Hair extensions are hairpieces that can be attached to your natural hair or scalp; they enhance the thickness of your hair or the length. There are several kinds, but the most popular ones are
· Strands, small clusters of about 30 pieces of hair
· Wefts, slightly larger curtains of hair, joined at the top and free flowing at the ends. The best wefts are hand-made, not machine-made.
· Braids and dreadlocks, which are pre-wound.
Some are synthetic and some are made of human hair. The natural hair of Caucasians is different from that of Asians or Afro-Caribbeans and you should choose an extension that will match your own hair.
They come in many varieties and can be pre-colored, pre-highlighted or pre-permed with curls or a body wave. Depending on how it was attached, you may need to have your hair extension Armidale re-done after 6 or 8 weeks, or it might last up to 4 months. Re-attaching will always be periodically necessary because our natural hair continues to grow, the bonding agent becomes loose, life happens, and you’ll need to re-adjust and refresh your hair’s appearance.
How are hair extensions attached?
· Strands are woven, glued, or clipped to your natural hair. If they’re clipped, you can take them off easily any time. If they’re glued, various bonding agents may be used and care must be taken to protect your scalp and natural hair.
· For wefts, your stylist will make a small corn row or weave in your natural hair, and sew the weft to this weave. This method uses no chemicals.
· Braids are usually woven in with your own hair and again no chemicals are used.
Hair Extensions - Give Your Hair a New Look
Hair extensions are a great way to add length and volume to your hair. You can find extensions in different colors and styles. Make sure that when you purchase extensions that they are of high quality, so that they will last and have a natural look.
What are the Different Types of Hair Extensions?
There are several basic types of hair extensions, including clip-in, micro-ring or loop, fusion bonding, sewn-in or tracking, and bonding and sealing extensions. The clip-in extensions are the easiest to apply, but they do not last as long as others and if not placed properly, they can come loose. The micro-ring or loop extensions do not damage hair, but for people with short hair, they are not recommended because they can be visible. Fusion bonding extensions last longer than some other methods, but they can cause damage and should be done by a professional. Sewn-in or tracking extensions are the longest lasting and most natural looking of the different types. These should be applied by a professional.
There are also bonding and sealing extensions that are very natural looking, and they are the sturdiest of the different types of hair extensions and almost invisible. They do take a long time to apply, and they must be applied by a professional, using special tools.
How Do I Apply Clip-in Extensions?
Applying clip-in extensions is an easy and fast way to change your look for a special evening. For the best results, use quality 100-percent virgin Indian hair extensions, which are the most natural looking of the products available. The following easy-to-follow steps will help guide you through the application of clip-in extensions:
- Part your hair horizontally from under one ear over to the other ear.
- Start at the lowest point of the hairline part the hair where you wish to create a section.
- Clip the remaining hair firmly out of the way, so that you can add your extensions.
- Take the first weft, making sure that it is long enough and wide enough to fit along the back of the hairline and open all of the clips.
- Take the chosen weft and just below the part, carefully clip into place. Make sure that the clip snaps close on your hair and is secure. Repeat with the remaining clips.
- Release the hair you secured out of the way and make a new part. To do this, comb down a new layer about a half-inch from the original part. Each time, you need to secure the remaining hair out of the way so that you can easily clip in the extension.
- Repeat the process for all the extensions.
- Check for any gaps by running your hand along the extensions to make sure that they lie flat across your head. Make any necessary adjustments.
- When applying the side pieces, make sure that they are secure, frame your face and blend with your natural hair.
- To remove the wefts, gently unclip the sections and move up and away from your hair. Try not to pull, as this can lead to hair loss.
The clip-in hair extensions are a quick method of applying extensions that you can do yourself, but most other extensions require a qualified professional to get the most natural looking results and to limit any damage done to your hair. The key to correctly applying any extensions is to do so in a way that they are not noticeable and blend with your natural hair.
Armidale Hair Extension Salons – A Guide
A hair extension is the technique of adding hair that isn't your own onto your own natural hair. There are a variety of methods for adding a hair extension, including weaving, bonding, braiding and strand by strand. Some of these techniques are best performed by trained hair professionals, while others are simple enough for you to do yourself, at home.
They can be styled and washed which makes them a versatile way of achieving a new look. Hair extensions and hairpieces come in a range of hair types - wavy, curly and long straight and sleek; various textures and lengths.
Celebrities have been seen wearing hairpieces and clip in hair extensions for the past few months which has caused this hair accessory to become popular with women of all ages around the world. One of the most versatile forms of hairpiece is the clip on ponytail, which is simple and easy to attach to your own hair pulled back in a knot.
These are available in inexpensive synthetic as well as human hair which are both fully washable. Hair extensions are a temporary answer to achieving a different hair style whether you go to a salon and have it professionally attached or put in in yourself.
Clip in hair extensions cover a range of techniques and applications. To experience a funky modern look without damaging your hair with chemicals and dyes, try a clip in color streaks hair extension.
You get to create a fun look that is only temporary and you can return to your normal style the next day. Try long hair for a day, add highlights or lowlights, add some curls or waves - the possibilities are almost endless. Watch what the celebs are doing and copy it to be really up to the minute with the latest fashion looks.
Clip in extensions vary in width from 2 to 8 inches and are attached to your own hair by means of the small toupee clips which are sewn onto the extensions. Each extension is attached to small sections of the natural hair, using the clips. You simply section your hair horizontally and snap the clips shut over your hair, just inder the part you made, near the scalp. Be careful not to catch your scalp - this could be painful. The clip in hair extensions are fine to wear day and night, but need to be removed before going to sleep.
Here are some tips for fitting your clip-in hair extensions -
* Before fitting your extension, straighten your own hair. You will get a more natural blending of your own hair with the hair in the extensions.
* Practice opening and closing the snap clips on the hair extension. Use both your thumbs and your index fingers, and apply firm pressure to the ends of the clip . Leave each one open so they will be ready for fitting to your hair.
* You might find it helps to lightly tease the underside of each section of your own hair before fitting the clips. This will help to give a firmer grip on your hair.
* Start from the bottom of your head and work up towards the top.
* The longer lengths are best used for the back of the head and the shorter lengths are for the sides.
* Lightly comb your own hair over the extensions and check there are no lumps or bumps.
After you have practised a few times you will be able to fit your clip in hair extensions quickly and easily to create great fashion looks and special styles for a memorable occasion.
The Rise and Fall of the Hair Extension
Do you long for long thick wavy hair, or natural highlights, but you have thin, short or dull hair? You may wish to look into human hair extensions . It seems as if everywhere you look people are changing their styles overnight using hair extensions. So if you can't wait for your hair to grow, or need that thick luscious sexy hair today, or add natural highlights and thickness to change your style temporarily. Consider human hair extensions.
Once the decision to change has been made , the next thing to consider is how to achieve great looking natural hair, using what kind of hair extension..
Types of hair extensions
- 100% Natural Human Hair,
- synthetic hair - man made hair
- a combination of the real hair and synthetic hair.
Real hair is literally that, 100% natural home grown hair from another person, it will behave the same as your own hair. Synthetic hair is artificial and usually doesn't hang or move naturally. A combination contains both types of hair, so if often cheaper, but still may not hang quite the way natural hair does.
Real Human hair is the only way to go if you want the hair extension to feel real. It is 100% pure, human hair.As such it can be treated exactly as you would treat your own hair - washing, coloring, perming or straightening can all be done on human hair. Real hair is bought from Europe, Asia, or Russia. If you want the hair extensions to be color matched to your hair you can have it done, or if you want a contrasting highlights that is also possible. A good stylist will choose the best shad match for your hair and highlights. Real hair will fit in with your own hair more naturally, and behave the same as your own hair in the rain or when it is wet. Synthetic hair tends to be "set" in that it comes in a fixed style that will not change when it is wet. You can can a number of months typically 6-9 months from human hair extensions, as long as they are cared for properly. One of the big dangers to human hair extensions is heat, so it is important to provide gentle care to stop them from becoming dry and brittle. It can take a long time to attach these types of hair extensions and it is wise to have it done professionally in a salon.
Synthetic hair looks and feels different to real hair as it is "set" it doesn't hang the same as natural hair. Synthetic hair does not handle water well and can become tangled easily. This makes it hard to look after as a permanent hair extension.
When considering human hair there are different qualities available. As it is not possible to just collect cut hair from the salon floor. the highest quality providers of human hair take great care to control how it is collected and processed. The hair is carefully cut to keep the strands lined up in the growing direction. This is help with the hair hanging naturally. Hair strands are made up of a number of layers of cells,the outer layer is known as the cuticle, the cuticle cells are like roof tiles overlapping. If the cuticle is complete and undamaged the hair will lock in more moisture and last longer. In the lower grades of hair extension the cuticle is damaged in processing(often by harsh chemicals), leaving the hair brittle. An expert stylist will make sure that the hair extension and your own hair cuticle direction are matched and run in the same direction.
This is one reason the best human hair extensions are the most expensive and the best option for your own hair extensions.