Hair extensions started being used in the 1980s, but because of poor results and high expense, were abandoned until about 5 years ago. Their popularity has been boosted by all the celebrities who now use them.
What are hair extensions?
Hair extensions are hairpieces that can be attached to your natural hair or scalp; they enhance the thickness of your hair or the length. There are several kinds, but the most popular ones are
· Strands, small clusters of about 30 pieces of hair
· Wefts, slightly larger curtains of hair, joined at the top and free flowing at the ends. The best wefts are hand-made, not machine-made.
· Braids and dreadlocks, which are pre-wound.
Some are synthetic and some are made of human hair. The natural hair of Caucasians is different from that of Asians or Afro-Caribbeans and you should choose an extension that will match your own hair.
They come in many varieties and can be pre-colored, pre-highlighted or pre-permed with curls or a body wave. Depending on how it was attached, you may need to have your hair extension Ayr re-done after 6 or 8 weeks, or it might last up to 4 months. Re-attaching will always be periodically necessary because our natural hair continues to grow, the bonding agent becomes loose, life happens, and you’ll need to re-adjust and refresh your hair’s appearance.
How are hair extensions attached?
· Strands are woven, glued, or clipped to your natural hair. If they’re clipped, you can take them off easily any time. If they’re glued, various bonding agents may be used and care must be taken to protect your scalp and natural hair.
· For wefts, your stylist will make a small corn row or weave in your natural hair, and sew the weft to this weave. This method uses no chemicals.
· Braids are usually woven in with your own hair and again no chemicals are used.
Hair Extensions For Fine Or Thin Hair
Hair extensions are a great way to add length and volume to your hair. You can find extensions in different colors and styles. Make sure that when you purchase extensions that they are of high quality, so that they will last and have a natural look.
What are the Different Types of Hair Extensions?
There are several basic types of hair extensions, including clip-in, micro-ring or loop, fusion bonding, sewn-in or tracking, and bonding and sealing extensions. The clip-in extensions are the easiest to apply, but they do not last as long as others and if not placed properly, they can come loose. The micro-ring or loop extensions do not damage hair, but for people with short hair, they are not recommended because they can be visible. Fusion bonding extensions last longer than some other methods, but they can cause damage and should be done by a professional. Sewn-in or tracking extensions are the longest lasting and most natural looking of the different types. These should be applied by a professional.
There are also bonding and sealing extensions that are very natural looking, and they are the sturdiest of the different types of hair extensions and almost invisible. They do take a long time to apply, and they must be applied by a professional, using special tools.
How Do I Apply Clip-in Extensions?
Applying clip-in extensions is an easy and fast way to change your look for a special evening. For the best results, use quality 100-percent virgin Indian hair extensions, which are the most natural looking of the products available. The following easy-to-follow steps will help guide you through the application of clip-in extensions:
- Part your hair horizontally from under one ear over to the other ear.
- Start at the lowest point of the hairline part the hair where you wish to create a section.
- Clip the remaining hair firmly out of the way, so that you can add your extensions.
- Take the first weft, making sure that it is long enough and wide enough to fit along the back of the hairline and open all of the clips.
- Take the chosen weft and just below the part, carefully clip into place. Make sure that the clip snaps close on your hair and is secure. Repeat with the remaining clips.
- Release the hair you secured out of the way and make a new part. To do this, comb down a new layer about a half-inch from the original part. Each time, you need to secure the remaining hair out of the way so that you can easily clip in the extension.
- Repeat the process for all the extensions.
- Check for any gaps by running your hand along the extensions to make sure that they lie flat across your head. Make any necessary adjustments.
- When applying the side pieces, make sure that they are secure, frame your face and blend with your natural hair.
- To remove the wefts, gently unclip the sections and move up and away from your hair. Try not to pull, as this can lead to hair loss.
The clip-in hair extensions are a quick method of applying extensions that you can do yourself, but most other extensions require a qualified professional to get the most natural looking results and to limit any damage done to your hair. The key to correctly applying any extensions is to do so in a way that they are not noticeable and blend with your natural hair.
Ayr Hair Extension Salons – A Guide
Clip-in hair extensions are the new rave this year with more and more women becoming health conscious and throwing away the hair glue (which can cause alopecia, bald spots and breakage) and tending towards hair extensions - which not only cause no damage whatsoever but last 10x longer (normally approx 12 months). Not all companies use high quality hair - but most do use a hair type known as Remy. Remy hair is luxurious human hair and doesn't have one trace of synthetic materials - they are also softer.
Synthetic hair is "played-out" women these days want to treat hair extensions like their own hair - and luckily for the human hair extensions can be:
- heat styled
- curled and much more
Purchase from companies that sell Remy hair but be careful not to get ripped off - a lot of the celebrity endorsed hair extensions use their names to fool customers but for example a full head (7 - 8 rows) and black 18" Remy hair should only set you back £25-£30 and not a pound more. Some companies sell theirs for £149.99 - be smart and know what you are doing.
European hair is for the Caucasian and Asian women, where as black/afro Caribbean women should buy Yaki hair as this matches their texture and blends in well especially with the women who relax (chemically straighten) their hair.
Half head or full head?
A half head is for the ladies who already have a bit of length and thickness in their own hair and just want a few pieces to add bulk and a bit of length (normally at the back). Ladies who buy half head hair extensions would preferably have layers (you don't want a mullet) and want less than obvious hair extensions
A full head is for women of any length hair who want length and also thickness. These will change your whole look and if your lucky enough to shop with us you will get double weft; most companies will use single wefts (so that means your hair will be thinner and you might need to buy more)
Overall clip-in extensions are clearly the best things since sliced bread! Enjoy them and the confidence they bring. Not only can they be used for nightwear you can wear them to school or to work and as long as you treat them well, they can really boost your personal appearance. We promise you that you won't even want to take them out once you become used to them!
Hair Extensions - Give Your Hair a New Look
As a Hairdresser and specializing in the Trading of Hair and Application of Extensions, I found that hair quality and the origin of donors is of the utmost of importance to determine quality. The quality of your hair extension hair will determine whether or not they look real, and how long the hair lasts. Please note, the following regions detail the process used to match hair extensions for people of Caucasian origin.
There are a large number of hair extension artists claiming to use virgin Russian hair for many hundreds even thousands of dollars, when in actual fact they are selling good quality European hair sourced from donors with origins in South America, Italy, Eurasian etc . This hairs cuticle has been harshly processed to strip out the very thick texture and dark colour pigments. To mimic western hair (Caucasian), the hair is re-tinted using fabric colours not hair colours to achieve the desired shade.
Hair sourced from donors of Indian, Asian and Chinese donors is a very course hair strand and grows naturally very dark and very straight. The hair is processed using the same method as European hair only more harshly. The pigments are stripped back to nothing then a short lasting silicon coating is added for a more realistic texture. For this reason Asian hair is usually the cheapest and most unnatural looking hair available on the market only lasting for the short term.
Raw Virgin Russian Hair
Raw virgin Russian hair has NEVER been chemically treated and is Caucasian hair so the cuticle is not processed and stripped unlike Asian and European hair. The hair reacts beautifully to salon products and remains silky even after lighting and colouring. Raw virgin Russian hair is widely known as the "creme de la creme" of hair and of the finest quality. The hair not only looks the most natural but also last for years not months. Russian hair is softer, finer and more compatible with western hair allowing the hair move naturally with more volume which means less extensions and less potential damage to your own hair.
Due to the scarce nature of sourcing raw virgin Russian hair the initial cost can be significantly more than European and Asian hair. People only compare prices directly, however volume and durability should also be an important consideration. You may find that over the long term you can purchase raw virgin Russian hair for the same price as Asian or European hair when allowing for how long the hair will last and how many extensions you need. Chemically treated hair is flat and lifeless needing more hair to produce the same affect as non treated hair. In addition to volume, raw virgin Russian hair will last for years not months so the only cost is the cost a hair extension artist will charge for uplifting the extensions. Many well known brands do not offer uplifting due to the poor quality and durability of the product they use. If hair extension artists or salons claim to offer raw virgin Russian hair but can only guarantee the product for less than six months it is more than likely a false claim.
Quick Facts: Asian/European hair extensions
- Hair only last in original condition for a short period
- Not recommended to colour as hair becomes even more porous
- Does not look real
- Not recommended to swim
- Frequently tangles
- Maintenance is very high
- Needs to be styled often
- Looks natural Can be coloured
- Swimming causes no damage
- Hair does not tangle
- Maintenance is very low
- Hair can be left to dry naturally
- Last for years if well cared for
- Need less as hair has more volume