Hair extensions started being used in the 1980s, but because of poor results and high expense, were abandoned until about 5 years ago. Their popularity has been boosted by all the celebrities who now use them.
What are hair extensions?
Hair extensions are hairpieces that can be attached to your natural hair or scalp; they enhance the thickness of your hair or the length. There are several kinds, but the most popular ones are
· Strands, small clusters of about 30 pieces of hair
· Wefts, slightly larger curtains of hair, joined at the top and free flowing at the ends. The best wefts are hand-made, not machine-made.
· Braids and dreadlocks, which are pre-wound.
Some are synthetic and some are made of human hair. The natural hair of Caucasians is different from that of Asians or Afro-Caribbeans and you should choose an extension that will match your own hair.
They come in many varieties and can be pre-colored, pre-highlighted or pre-permed with curls or a body wave. Depending on how it was attached, you may need to have your hair extension Kurri Kurri re-done after 6 or 8 weeks, or it might last up to 4 months. Re-attaching will always be periodically necessary because our natural hair continues to grow, the bonding agent becomes loose, life happens, and you’ll need to re-adjust and refresh your hair’s appearance.
How are hair extensions attached?
· Strands are woven, glued, or clipped to your natural hair. If they’re clipped, you can take them off easily any time. If they’re glued, various bonding agents may be used and care must be taken to protect your scalp and natural hair.
· For wefts, your stylist will make a small corn row or weave in your natural hair, and sew the weft to this weave. This method uses no chemicals.
· Braids are usually woven in with your own hair and again no chemicals are used.
Hair Extensions - Where Do Yours Come From?
Volume for the hair can be added using hair extension and it can also be used to cover the less hair areas thus making the appearance of the hair better. The extensions can be purchased online and there are some useful tips for that.
Step 1: Make a check in the internet for less expensive hair extensions. Many options will be available from real hair to synthetic hair of which we can make the best option.
Step2: Many companies also put up their advertisements offering the products. Depending on the country from where you are ordering the product, the price may vary. Check out different websites to know more details about the product at a discounted offer price. Products may be sometimes available at half the price thus saving more money.
Step 3: A number of websites provide online auction sale and products. Keep a regular look at these sites to know their promotional benefits.
Step4: Facebook and other promotional sites are also another media for advertisement, be a regular visitor at these sites to know the updates.
Gluing and sewing are the two common methods for attaching the extensions to hair. If you are deciding to use glue then attention should be paid to carefully select the product so as to give full protection for the hair. Pay for effective and harmless glue, or else, it could become loose and fall out after some hours. Beware of cheap extension products as they can cause considerable damages to your natural hair.
Kurri Kurri Hair Extension Salons – A Guide
It can be difficult to find a hair extension stylist near you, and you don't always have the time to drive hours to get your hair done. Luckily, several online resources are available to help.
Here is a helpful, condensed list:
The Hair Extension Salon Locator
This site lists hair extension salons by state. It also features articles on the care of hair extensions and hair loss information. Additionally, they have supplies and training resources.
This is the website for the HairBonz hair extension system. You can call 1-888-693-HAIR to find a listing of hair extension salons using the HairBonz system.
This informative site has links to hair extension salons. Unfortunately, the information is listed alphabetically and cannot be searched by city or state. However, if you have the patience to scan the listings you just might find a local salon.
Black Beauty Care Directory
This site is specifically for African-American beauty concerns, and lists salons that cater to African hair. Information is categorized by state for easy access.
Another way to find a local hair extension salon is to type "Houston hair extension salons" or "hair extensive salons near Houston" in a search engine. Of course, use your own city name in place of Houston!
You can also use your Yellow Pages to find hair extension salons.
One of the best ways to find a top-quality salon is by word of mouth. If a friend or family member has beautiful extensions, ask for a reference.
No matter where you located your hair extension salon, make sure that your stylist is qualified to apply the extensions. He or she should be a licensed cosmetologist with ample experience in applying the type of extensions you are considering. Many experts recommend that you meet some of the stylist's other clients and find out if they are happy with their extensions. At the very least, ask to see a portfolio with before and after pictures.
How To Buy Cheap Hair Extension Online
Hair extensions are a great way to add length and volume to your hair. You can find extensions in different colors and styles. Make sure that when you purchase extensions that they are of high quality, so that they will last and have a natural look.
What are the Different Types of Hair Extensions?
There are several basic types of hair extensions, including clip-in, micro-ring or loop, fusion bonding, sewn-in or tracking, and bonding and sealing extensions. The clip-in extensions are the easiest to apply, but they do not last as long as others and if not placed properly, they can come loose. The micro-ring or loop extensions do not damage hair, but for people with short hair, they are not recommended because they can be visible. Fusion bonding extensions last longer than some other methods, but they can cause damage and should be done by a professional. Sewn-in or tracking extensions are the longest lasting and most natural looking of the different types. These should be applied by a professional.
There are also bonding and sealing extensions that are very natural looking, and they are the sturdiest of the different types of hair extensions and almost invisible. They do take a long time to apply, and they must be applied by a professional, using special tools.
How Do I Apply Clip-in Extensions?
Applying clip-in extensions is an easy and fast way to change your look for a special evening. For the best results, use quality 100-percent virgin Indian hair extensions, which are the most natural looking of the products available. The following easy-to-follow steps will help guide you through the application of clip-in extensions:
- Part your hair horizontally from under one ear over to the other ear.
- Start at the lowest point of the hairline part the hair where you wish to create a section.
- Clip the remaining hair firmly out of the way, so that you can add your extensions.
- Take the first weft, making sure that it is long enough and wide enough to fit along the back of the hairline and open all of the clips.
- Take the chosen weft and just below the part, carefully clip into place. Make sure that the clip snaps close on your hair and is secure. Repeat with the remaining clips.
- Release the hair you secured out of the way and make a new part. To do this, comb down a new layer about a half-inch from the original part. Each time, you need to secure the remaining hair out of the way so that you can easily clip in the extension.
- Repeat the process for all the extensions.
- Check for any gaps by running your hand along the extensions to make sure that they lie flat across your head. Make any necessary adjustments.
- When applying the side pieces, make sure that they are secure, frame your face and blend with your natural hair.
- To remove the wefts, gently unclip the sections and move up and away from your hair. Try not to pull, as this can lead to hair loss.
The clip-in hair extensions are a quick method of applying extensions that you can do yourself, but most other extensions require a qualified professional to get the most natural looking results and to limit any damage done to your hair. The key to correctly applying any extensions is to do so in a way that they are not noticeable and blend with your natural hair.