Hair extensions started being used in the 1980s, but because of poor results and high expense, were abandoned until about 5 years ago. Their popularity has been boosted by all the celebrities who now use them.
What are hair extensions?
Hair extensions are hairpieces that can be attached to your natural hair or scalp; they enhance the thickness of your hair or the length. There are several kinds, but the most popular ones are
· Strands, small clusters of about 30 pieces of hair
· Wefts, slightly larger curtains of hair, joined at the top and free flowing at the ends. The best wefts are hand-made, not machine-made.
· Braids and dreadlocks, which are pre-wound.
Some are synthetic and some are made of human hair. The natural hair of Caucasians is different from that of Asians or Afro-Caribbeans and you should choose an extension that will match your own hair.
They come in many varieties and can be pre-colored, pre-highlighted or pre-permed with curls or a body wave. Depending on how it was attached, you may need to have your hair extension Beaudesert re-done after 6 or 8 weeks, or it might last up to 4 months. Re-attaching will always be periodically necessary because our natural hair continues to grow, the bonding agent becomes loose, life happens, and you’ll need to re-adjust and refresh your hair’s appearance.
How are hair extensions attached?
· Strands are woven, glued, or clipped to your natural hair. If they’re clipped, you can take them off easily any time. If they’re glued, various bonding agents may be used and care must be taken to protect your scalp and natural hair.
· For wefts, your stylist will make a small corn row or weave in your natural hair, and sew the weft to this weave. This method uses no chemicals.
· Braids are usually woven in with your own hair and again no chemicals are used.
Hair Extensions For Fine Or Thin Hair
You see them everywhere; they allow celebrities to go from short hair to greater lengths in an instant. Some look awful while others blend so well that no one would ever suspect; but have you ever wondered where the hair used in extensions comes from? Is it from human sources? What kind of process does it go through before it is attached as an extension? This article will address some of these questions and offer a couple of other insights into the world of the hair extension industry that may interest the average, information seeking, consumer.
First, we should establish that there are many companies that send buyers out to acquire hair for hair extensions and, without sounding biased to one brand or the other, I will just say this... not all hair extensions are created equal, so, buyer beware!
There are three basic categories of hair that is used for hair extensions.
• Synthetic - Hair made from synthetic fibers that are less likely to tangle with your natural hair but is very susceptible to melting due to heat from hot dryers and irons.
• Animal - In particular, the animal hair that is widely used for extensions comes from the under-belly of the Yak. It is claimed that this type of hair, because of its texture and look, has the most suitable structure for use as a match for chemically relaxed and treated African-Ethnic hair. One major drawback is that from there are those who will experience or develop allergic reactions to the Yak hair.
• Human - This hair may come from a variety of geographical regions. A word of caution: There are companies that will claim that the product you are receiving is from a human source but on final analysis, it may be shown to contain animal hair or synthetic fibers, as well. The reason this is allowed to occur is due to the technicality that if a collection of hair joined to form an extension strand contains at least one human strand in the mix, by legal standards it can be marketed as human. So, when researching where your particular extensions come from, always make sure that you are guaranteed that what you are buying is 100% human hair.
Now that we have categorized what the basic types of hair extensions are made of, we can look a little further into how the human hair, used in hair extensions, is collected.
Human hair collected for extensions can be categorized as:
• Remy: Meaning that all the hairs still have their cuticle layers intact with each strand faced in the same direction (this creates a natural fall to the extension, keeps tangling to a minimum, and allows light reflectivity for shine). Ideally the donor of this type of hair has a long braid cut from their head so as to preserve the quality of the cuticle layers following the same direction. Because of the care taken when gathering Remy hair, it tends to be more expensive to purchase but is the most desirable and suitable hair to use.
• Non-Remy: Cuticle layers are not aligned in the same directional flow. These strands are usually collected as naturally shed, fallen hair that is collected from hairbrushes. As you can imagine, this confused mixture of hair is very prone to tangling and matting due to the cuticle layers of the individual hairs not following in the same directions. To rectify this, these hairs are often subjected to acid treatments that remove the cuticle layers from the hair shafts, leaving behind a product that is weakened and dull looking. A silicone is then added to the hair to make the dull, stripped hair shinier. Over time this silicone erodes and washes away, leaving the Non-Remy tresses in their post-chemically treated, compromised condition. Being of lesser quality, this hair is less cost prohibitive than that of Remy hair but typically, produces a less desirable result.
Hopefully, I've shed a bit of light on where hair extension hair comes from, how it's processed, and created a platform where those of you that may be interested in getting an expert hair extension service performed will be able to make thoughtful decisions about the products that are used on your head.
Beaudesert Hair Extension Salons – A Guide
Hair extensions are the latest fashion accessory and are proving popular throughout the world. They are adding hair that is not your own onto your own hair are a safe, natural way to enhance your inner beauty. Human hair extensions are generally purchased through salons that provide extensionist services. This is not an exact science and are custom from person to person. These are becoming more and more popular every day and are a great addition for women wanting to change their hair style and to get that hairstyle they have been desiring for some time. They are accessible in numerous dissimilar colors, textures, styles, and lengths and are a great hair style option for weddings, proms, homecomings or other special occasions. They are also a common accessory in Hollywood and you can get that glamorous look you've always wanted through the magic of them.
Hair extensions are decidedly not a one size accommodates all, and some techniques may not be appropriate for certain hair textures and circumstances. They are made from human hair, synthetic hair, or a blend of the two and are usually used for medium and short hair to produce longer locks or varying different looks. They are easy to apply (with proper training) but are not something that you should just go and get done, without the proper preparation and research. These are done using three different methods, Braid Weaves, Mega Tips, and Micro Linking. They are not wigs nor are they artificial extensions, they are usually made from real human hair. Hair extensions are strands of either real or synthetic hair which are set close to the scalp by using various systems of fixation.
They are a great way to add color and dimension to your hair without changing your actual hair color. They are able to be curled or straightened, but again, if the hair is synthetic, a lower heat setting is advisable. The great thing about them are that they can be used to achieve the same goal as a haircut to help you get that perfect hair style that will accentuate your beauty.
As well as permanent methods, there are also a wide range of clip in them on the market which are excellent for changing the way you look within minutes and can be put in and taken out as and when you please. Hair extensions are without doubt the key to a world made of changing shapes, lifestyles and desires.
Hair Extension Information
I was watching a TV show the other day about human hair extensions and what a big business it is and it really shocked me. Now I have been a supplier of hair extension technicians to go to peoples houses and applied the extensions for a long time, I am also a trained nail and eyelash technician so I know about the industry but what I found out about on the show shocked me.
Where do you think your human hair extensions come from, have not got a clue, me neither. I knew that some of the cheaper hair extensions came from horses hair and I knew the real hair extensions came from real people but did not really think about it anymore than that really. I suppose I thought there were females all over the place growing their hair for the purpose of selling it on to make some money but to be honest I never really gave it any thought.
The TV show the other night showed a reported going to the depths of Russia to find out where human hair extensions came from and I can tell you now it was not pretty. First of all they got together with a hair extension technician from Russia but living in London that charges six hundred minimum to do hair extensions and she makes a packet I can tell you, she also gets all her products from Russia and because of this she was the best person to take the reporter on the journey.
Before they set off there was a scene where she received a box of human hair extensions from her supplier and she opened the box to check the quality. Whilst going through the merchandise she proceeded to throw to one side all of the extensions that were not to her standards, the reporter asked what she was going to do with them and she replied that she would send them back for money off of the next order, she had no real care for were they came from or anything.
On arrival in Russia they were met by a provider of hair extensions and taken to his office to show the products they had and it was quite amazing to see the amounts of hair they had lying around, there was literally hair from the floor to the ceiling. The reporter asked where the hair was purchased from and that was when the eager to please host started to get a bit vague with answers and started to talk to the others in Russian.